There are loads of reasons to visit your dentist. However, if seeing the staff’s smiling happy faces and getting a free toothbrush just aren’t enough for you, we’ve got ten more of the biggest reasons you should schedule your appointment today.
- You need to remove biofilm. The plaque that builds up on your teeth is a biofilm, and it’s loaded with bacteria. This is a problem in and of itself, but if it remains on your teeth it hardens into tartar, which is sometimes called calculus. Tartar becomes so hard and firmly attached to teeth that it can’t be removed at home.
- You can catch small problems before they become big problems. Because your dentist performs an exam, you’ll know if you’re having trouble long before it starts to hurt, and also before it becomes expensive to correct.
- You’ll be screened for oral cancer and other health issues. Have you ever wondered why the dentist asks you to stick out your tongue when he’s supposed to be looking at your teeth? He’s looking for signs of cancer and other diseases. Your dentist can catch a myriad of health concerns that manifest in the mouth, neck, or jaw.
- You can prevent or combat gum disease. The biofilm and tartar mentioned earlier cause gum disease when they’re left on teeth. It starts off as bleeding gums (gingivitis) and eventually grows into full-blown periodontal disease.
- You can keep your natural teeth longer. If your gum disease progresses, your teeth can become mobile, and you will literally lose them. Even if you don’t develop gum disease, having fewer cavities means your teeth stay healthier, and you’ll retain them longer.
- You’ll protect your overall health. Gum disease has been linked to diabetes, heart disease, osteoporosis, respiratory disease, cancer, and numerous other conditions. On top of that, tooth loss has also been linked to depression. Your oral health has a huge impact on your overall health and wellbeing, so it’s important to protect it.
- Your teeth will stay whiter. Biofilm has a natural nasty yellow tinge to it, and it also traps stains. Your hygienist will remove biofilm, plaque, and unpleasant stains, so your teeth look naturally whiter.
- You may improve your confidence. Your regular checkups help keep your teeth and gums looking their best, which improves aesthetics and self-esteem. On top of healthy, gleaming teeth, you also fight bad breath with every check-up and professional cleaning, so you can feel confident in social situations.
- You’ll teach your children good habits. Your kids are witching what you do and the values you instill now will follow them through life. When they see you take good care of your teeth they learn it’s something they need to do as well.
- You can save money. Most of the time, dental insurance covers the cost of your preventative visits. As a benefit, catching problems when they’re small saves money. Keep in mind that the amount you save is amplified when your spouse and children are all on routine checkup schedules, too.
The many physical and medical benefits of Dentists, make seeing your Doctor of Oral Health a part of your personal wellness program. They offer an affordable, effective advice to help you stay healthy. To learn more about our dental practice can provide an improved quality of life, contact Dr. Rose Wang in Nashua today!